We choose to do things - Role of Wording
February 25, 2021•131 words
Reading time: 1 min
Wording is important in establishing your mindset on things. On this blog, in most cases, I choose to use a 'self-deterministic' choice of words: I choose to do something; I don't have to do something.
It's a simple difference of 'choosing' to work vs 'having' to work.
I think this has several important benefits for well-being:
- It affirms that you are in control (even if you think you are not; helps convince yourself)
- It encourages gratitude for the opportunities you are given and choosing to take, rather than experiences you are forced to suffer through
- These two combined likely decrease stress and increases your happiness
- This encourages intrinsic motivation
- This positive wording will make you dread tasks less, decreasing likelihood of procrastination